PeCo Libraries
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Into the Fire: a Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War by Dakota Meyer

2 posters

Go down

Into the Fire: a Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War by Dakota Meyer Empty Into the Fire: a Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War by Dakota Meyer

Post  Bookworm Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:39 pm

Dakota Meyer is the Marine corporal who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in September of 2011 for his bravery in the face of enemy fire at Ganjigal, Afghanistan, in 2009. President Obama not only presented the award in a White House ceremony but personally called Meyer to offer the invitation.
This is Meyer's story and he apparently tells it like it was.
In the face of enemy fire while ensconced in the turret of a Humvee with a 50 caliber gun aided only by a brave but experienced driver, the hero takes on at least 60 insurgents in order to rescue his team Monti holed up in a local residence. His fury over backup troops' and gunships' lack of support inflames his passion to succeed. Someone in high command screwed up, claiming lack of "SA", or "Situational Awareness."
A poignant telling, this sordid tale of military incompetence juxtaposed with individual resourcefulness hopefully is not due to Congressional interference on military engagement protocol.
Bookworm
Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Into the Fire: a Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War by Dakota Meyer Empty Re: Into the Fire: a Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War by Dakota Meyer

Post  The_Admin Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:41 pm

OK- I'm intrigued, I think I'll have to read that one. Thanks for the tip.
The_Admin
The_Admin
Admin

https://pecobookclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down