PeCo Libraries
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cold Mountain, a novel by Charles Frazier

2 posters

Go down

Cold Mountain, a novel by Charles Frazier Empty Cold Mountain, a novel by Charles Frazier

Post  Bookworm Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Inman, as a missing-in-action confederate soldier, embarks on a four year journey back to his surreal female friend Ada at Black Cove in North Carolina. His trek is filled with descriptive scenes of hope and despair, as he meets both kindness and villiany. Upon his return, he is faced with choices that will impact his future with his beloved Ada. He considers life with her, and the ultimate experience, that of fasting seven days and then waiting for the gates of Shining Rocks to open on Cold Mountain where he will be welcomed into a land of peace.
Frazier's account of his hero's journey through the countryside rivals the simple magnificance of Hemingway. And, like Hemingway, he despairs that life indeed is cruel, and will conquer you in the end.
Young Ruby, who comes to the aid of Ada, is a strong character, as is her father Stobrod with his delight in his violin.
Truly a brilliant novel.
Bookworm
Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Cold Mountain, a novel by Charles Frazier Empty Re: Cold Mountain, a novel by Charles Frazier

Post  The_Admin Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:23 pm

I agree, I loved this book. I enjoyed the movie as well, Nicole Kidman as Ada and Renee Zellweger (sp?) as Ruby. Usually movies that are based on books are nowhere near as good as the book but in this case, it was pretty close.
Ada and Ruby are from two very different worlds. Ada is unaccustomed to taking care of herself and as the war goes on finds it difficult to suddenly have no other choice but to fend for herself. Too prideful to accept help, some is sent to her, Ruby. The two very different worlds these women come from is demonstrated in the movie in a big way in this clip- Check it out:
The_Admin
The_Admin
Admin

https://pecobookclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down