PeCo Libraries
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Room Beyond by Stephanie Elmas

Go down

The Room Beyond by Stephanie Elmas Empty The Room Beyond by Stephanie Elmas

Post  WRB Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:36 pm

Romance, dark drama, paranormal happenings, and mystery are all elements in this well written story. The author definitely has a unique style of her own. The tempo picks up early on as the past-1890s London-and the present are cleverly blended together in alternating chapters to reveal dark and mysterious secrets.

Serena's story - present time - Serena becomes a nanny for Beth, a grand-daughter of the peculiar Hartreve family in London. She immediately falls in love with the Victorian mansion at 36 Marguerite Ave, a house laced with deep dark secrets. Serena is told that she was able to see things that she shouldn't. She finds it strange that number 34 Marguerite Ave is missing. Why had Edward and Arabella Hartreve fed Serena two different stories about the missing number 34?

1892-London- Tristan and Miranda Whitestone are hosting a dinner party at 34 Marguerite Ave. Miranda, my favorite character, is a woman that displays strength and courage, but grapples with the evils in her life. She is married to Tristan, a despicable man , who shows insolent behavior, but at times he is fueled with charm. Tristan is attracted to Lucinda Eden, a next door neighbor and dinner guest. He is amused with her dining room antics. She throws transparent and seductive advances towards Tristan. Lucinda is strong willed, the apple of her father's eye, and quite beautiful. Soon Tristan and Lucinda begin an affair that sets the stage for the next 100 years. And the story unfolds ---

There is a wide cast of eccentric and complex characters ---

Walter Balanchine, with a soft effeminate London slur, is a rather peculiar East End Victorian mystic. An early devotee to the art of hypnosis and the act of disappearance. Sebastian (Seb) White - a character shrouded in mystery. Seb is a friend of the Hartreve family. He doesn't work and refuses to be questioned about anything. Eva Hartreve was one of the three Hartreve children. She was young, barely out of her teens, and the mother of Beth. And Beth - A lovable 4 year old, is mature beyond her years, and a small eccentric in the making. She is quite unusual, but very sensitive and special. Alfonso Eden -another eccentric - is married to Lucinda Eden, but leaves her for a dancer.

My only quibble about the book - I found myself confused at times - so many characters and an intricate plot. But Stephanie Elmas has certainly crafted a thought provoking novel and one that I would recommend. My rating is 4 stars.

I received a complimentary copy from NetGalley for an honest review of this book. Other reviews are posted on http://www.reviewfromhere.com and http://www.bookreviewsbywanda.blogspo....

WRB

Back to top Go down