PeCo Libraries
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rockin' Chair by Steven Manchester

Go down

The Rockin' Chair by Steven Manchester Empty The Rockin' Chair by Steven Manchester

Post  WRB Sun May 26, 2013 1:05 am

The Rockin' Chair is an engrossing read that is told with emotion and poignancy - a tender and well written book with a strong theme of forgiveness. From beginning to end the story captured my heart with the good old fashioned story telling and the author managed to wrap it all into one beautiful package. An amazing read!

The character of John McCarthey, aka Grampa John, touched my heart. Sometimes referred to as a stubborn, old codger, Grampa is facing loneliness. His wife of many years, Alice, is close to dying with the dreaded disease, Alzheimer's. His world is a about to collapse and all he can do is sit back and watch it happen. Alice has been cheated one of life's greatest gifts, her memories, and is fast becoming no more than a shadow of the the past. As Alice's condition worsens, Grampa John decides it is time to call his family home - his three grand kids, Georgey, Evan, and Tara - to say their goodbyes. And the story unfolds ---

Over the years, Grampa John has carved four names into the seat of "the Rockin' Chair," that sat on their porch - Hank, Georgey, Evan, and Tara. From early on they'd spent their childhoods rocking, laughing and learning to love. Grampa isn't ready for the promised land until he knows these four loved ones have found peace and family problems are resolved. There was mending to be done before he could join Alice in eternity.

I was left with a warm feeling after reading this book - an absolutely wonderful read! A favorite of 2013. Other books by this author - Twelve Months, and Goodnight, Brian.

I was given a complimentary copy of this book, from the author, for an honest review. It will be released 6/18/13.

[b]

WRB

Back to top Go down