PeCo Libraries
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veil of Pearls by Mary Lu Tindall

2 posters

Go down

Veil of Pearls by Mary Lu Tindall Empty Veil of Pearls by Mary Lu Tindall

Post  gailann Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:09 am

The setting is the early 1800's in Charleston, SC. Adalia and her sister who are one quarter Negro are stolen from their home by Sir Walter when their parents die during a hurricaine. Sir Walter makes them his slaves, but Adalia's younger sister dies. He locks Adalia in a room in his plantation mansion and shackles her. Sir Walter abuses Adalia in all ways. One night, she escapes and gets on a ship bound for Charleston. Since she looks 'white", she's able to work her way into Charleston society and fall in love with a rich plantation owner's son, Morgan. The theme of the book is slavery in all its forms _ Negro slavery, but also slavery to society, looks, and money. Adalia has a strong faith which sees her through many hardships. The many twists and turns in the story kept me reading. I recommend this book.

gailann

Back to top Go down

Veil of Pearls by Mary Lu Tindall Empty Re: Veil of Pearls by Mary Lu Tindall

Post  WRB Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Completely absorbing and wonderfully written ... definitely a favorite of the year. I highly recommend.

WRB

Back to top Go down