PeCo Libraries
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Porch Lights

Go down

Porch Lights Empty Porch Lights

Post  dotty.wr Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:20 am

A nurse returns to New York from the war in Iraq to cope with the sudden death of her Fireman husband and the resulting depression of her son. She decides to go home to Sullivan's Island to heal, and here in the lowcountry she finds the peace and healing she and her son need. She comes to a better understanding of her mother, a retired teacher gifted with the ability to impart historical facts by inciting excitement and wonder in the learner's mind. Through her one learns tidbits few learn about Blackbeard and Edgar Allen Poe.
Living in the lowcountry is a throwback to a gentler time, when children could play unguarded, when spirits could be invoked, where tradition and respect are paramount, and food just tastes better. Dorothea Benton Frank's books are best read in sequence. The reader becomes enamoured and then absorbed by the characters, and then can't wait for the next book to be published. I spent days researching some of the places mentioned, thinking how wonderful it would be to visit locations mentioned.....until it finally dawned on me that: This is FICTION! Duh. I highly recommend all her books!

dotty.wr

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum