PeCo Libraries
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Tutor's Daughter by Julie Klassen

2 posters

Go down

The Tutor's Daughter by Julie Klassen Empty The Tutor's Daughter by Julie Klassen

Post  WRB Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:51 pm

This time period, early 19th century, England, came to life with the writer's beautiful descriptive writing and flowing dialogue. Emma Smallwood and her father arrive at Ebbington Manor on the Cornwall Coast and it is there that Mr Smallwood is hired to tutor the two youngest Weston sons, Julian and Rowan. Ebbington Manor is laced with secrets and many complexities develop throughout.

The Tutor's Daughter is is filled with well crafted characters. Emma, the tutor's daughter, has an ardent admirer who is sending her presumptuous notes at Ebbington. Are they a prank or are they sincere?

Phillip and Henry Weston, the two eldest Weston brothers, are quite interesting. Phillip, who seems to be the kind, mild, and friendly one and Henry, who comes across as rather laconic.

Lady Weston, the stepmother, who is an unkind woman and very fond of money. She is not pleased to have a romance developing between one of her two stepsons and Emma. And what is she hiding?

Sir Giles, the father of the Weston family, tries his best to appease Lady Weston, but a nearly impossible task. He retreats to his library and drinks brandy when problems arise.

Lizzie Henshaw, Lady Weston's ward, was my least favorite character - a bit hard to like with her sharp tongue. And what was her troubling secret?

And finally, the twin brothers, Julian and Rowan who were full of pranks and hard to like at times.

Julie Klassen never disappoints me with her beautifully written books, a style similar to Jane Austen, but easier to read. This book was a little slow getting started, but had a wonderful, although predictable ending. A rich blend of history, subtle romance, family secrets, and a bit of mystery make this book a good read.

WRB

Back to top Go down

The Tutor's Daughter by Julie Klassen Empty The Tutor's Daughter

Post  gailann Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:32 am

I thought this was an enjoyable book. Very romantic! Every time I thought I had the plot figured out, it changed. The author kept you off guard, but trying to guess 'who done it' was fun. The chapter about the Castle on the Rock was exciting. I couldn't put the book down.

gailann

Back to top Go down